Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"If it isn't illegal, immoral, or hurting someone...

Sometimes you have to overlook it." I tend to be heavy handed when it comes to discipline and I am really working hard on giving more grace. Well I heard Mark Hamby speak on parenting and it was some of the most powerful talks on parenting I have ever heard. I could relate to him as he used to be heavy handed to. I want to parent to the heart of the matter. Well he said that quote and boy did it ever ring true to me. I have started putting it into practice. Wouldn't you know the minute I walked through the door the day of hearing his talk I was "tested". LOL! My daughters first words out of her mouth to me were, "Mommy, you are going to be mad at me." Well I just kept repeating, "If it isn't illegal, immoral, or hurting someone else sometimes you have to overlook it." Well she lost a pair of $12 shoes. I was able to not get mad and overlook it. I think she was so baffled by me not getting mad that she brought it up again later that night to make sure I heard her. Haha! He mentioned the book "Shepherding A Child's Heart" and I need to read it again b/c it has been a very powerful book.

1 comments:

Beth said...

Hello Paige. I made my way over to your blog from THL Blogging Basics. I love Mark Hamby! I have heard him speak at our state homeschool conference many times! Sounds like you are on your way to moving in a good direction.
Blessings!